I initially was going to attend the Chick-Fil-A-Leadercast in person for the first time, but because of circumstances and a brother in faith had asked me to attend a simulcast with him. So after no debate at all I agreed to attend with him at a local church in our Neighborhood. Now for my first experience, you saw what I had listed as expectations from my first blog post now you can see what I really got from the event.
Andy Stanley – Don’t ever choose anything that will make you a liar for life.
If you didn’t know the topic for this years conference was on Choices. WOW, the choices that you make, those you don’t make, and the little choices you make from day-to-day and how they affect you. I knew I needed this especially since I am in transition from being a Corporate Worker to Entrepreneur. The first speaker of the day was Andy Stanley, now I have never heard him speak before in person or live via conference and everyone speaks so Highly of him, and knowing that he has mentored so many people I was excited to see how he taught and more importantly what I could learn. Here are my notes from Andy’s talk; Andy had three main points he wanted to get across. The main points are his but I add notes to the end of them as explanation.
You have to constantly think of the following;
- What would my replacement do? (Don’t loose objectivity) – You must always think objectively and constantly ask the question what would someone else do if they came in to replace me? What Ideas, what thoughts would they share, and what would they DO immediately? If you were removed from your position now in your Leadership role, what would your replacement do immediately?
- What would a great Leader do? – You have to constantly ask yourself the questions;
- What’s your growth plan?
- How do we outgrow the next person?
- How do we make it better? ( you must always ask yourself these questions) You don’t necessarily want to get Bigger without being better in everything that you do.
- What is the story I want to tell? – What is it that after you are gone you want your legacy to be? What and who are you trying to reach and what’s going to be your legacy?
- No matter how big or small the decision, your story is with you forever.
- What you are working on that’s BIG?
- Never sacrifice your family for your career.
- Lets all become leaders worth following.
Do you see from these questions or statements that I could write on this for Years and Years? I want to just share with you on story that Andy told us based off of sub question #2 of the 3rd question. He said What are you working on that’s BIG? He remembered when he was a young guy not married just coming up that he would meet with a good friend / adviser that would always ask him What are you working on that’s BIG Andy? And he would always reply with Nothing… He didn’t realize until later that because this guy was always growing, always Learning always Leading that he was always working on BIG things. Those that continue to grow, and learn will always evolve and those that don’t will wither away because they are not constantly learning. Don’t make things too BIG that you forget whom you should give all the Glory to.
Andy also recommended two books below;
Question: What is the story you want to tell? What legacy do you want to Leave?