Can you tell me exactly how you cancel all the noise that is going on around us? I mean how many things are you doing right now that is going to lead you down a path of nothing? The more things we focus on that is not pertaining to actually doing what we set out to do on our blogs is going to slowly but surely burn you out. How do you stop that from happening?
I don’t know if you are like me but there is so many people screaming for your attention its hard to really pay attention in this noisy world. You are receiving phone calls, emails, text messages, and more and its truly hard to keep up. Once question that I asked myself was, am I keeping trying to keep up with others and look busy or am I actually getting things done?
For me I truly had to create a system to prioritize what it is that I am doing and how I was to clear out all the clutter. Now I haven’t even come close to perfecting this because sometimes I still fall by the wayside to projects and people pulling me in a different direction than I should be moving. I had to learn how to Lead myself in times of struggle and in times of indecision.
The first thing I used to do in the morning when I wake up is to look at my cell phone. I would check what emails that I got overnight just to scan and see if anything interesting came in that I had missed. Maybe a new subscriber for my business, a new blog comment, maybe even a new team member that I would get the privilege of coaching, and this is absolutely the worse thing that you could do in the morning and that is check email as the first thing.
Now I’m not going to tell you that I wake up and Job 5 miles around the block, read 5 chapters of a book, and pray for 3hrs because I don’t. I had to reorganize some things that would set my priorities straight so I decided on a few small steps that I could accomplish without trying to take on a list of things that was too big to take on and eventually cause me to fail.
- I wake up and read my bible and pray – This has honestly been a struggle and a challenge for me because I am so tempted to see what the world is saying first that I tend to drown out GOD first, which I know is not right to start my day.
- Get on my Exercise bike for 10-15 Minutes – This helps to wake me up fully and gives me a bit of a jolt in the morning so that I can get ready for my day.
- Listen to something inspirational – While I am riding I have my iPad with me so that I can listen to something inspirational in those few minutes like an audio download or a Podcast, this helps me with inspiration for writing.
- Write my daughter a note for the day – I’m not exactly sure where my wife and I got this but every morning for the past few weeks we write a note to our daughter who is six and put it in her book bag for school. An inspirational message from mom and dad daily helps with her confidence.
- Set my Priorities for the day and my agenda – I make sure that I set the most important and hardest tasks that I have to accomplish that day first. It makes me have a sense of accomplishment and also gives me confidence that I have completed a big task.
Question: What steps or measures do you have in place to cancel all the noise?